20 month baby having runny nose, sore throat. Noticed bumpy rashes on knee. What is going on?

Question
My son is 20 months old and has had a runny nose and sore throat for about 3 days. I noticed a bumpy rash on his knee a few days ago, and it has gone all over his body now. the rash doesn't seem to bother him, but it worrys me. the bumps are mostly flesh colored and are kind of white on the tops.
Posted Tue, 28 Aug 2012 in Skin Rash

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in and uploading a picture.
Its possible that your son has molluscum contagiosum or keratosis pilaris.Molluscum contagiosum which is a viral infection is the more likely possibility. This is usually spread by contact at a school, in the pool or a similar place. if you can send me a top view of the bumps, we cam be certain about this. Also, this is a generally self limited condition and should become ok on its own in a few months. If it persists, we can explore other treatment options.
Keratosis pilaris is a condition where the hair follicles are blocked with secretions, giving rise to these bumps. This is a harmless condition and treatment is neither required nor effective.
As of now, you have nothing to be worried about. Your son will be fine in either case scenario.
I hope I have addressed your concerns. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: 20 month baby having runny nose, sore throat. Noticed bumpy rashes on knee. What is going on? 13 hours later
I uploaded some more photos of the top view of the bumps. Some are clustered together, and are on his legs, arms and chest. Is the rash contagious through touch? Also, do these conditions usually happen with a runny nose and fever for a day? When I looked it up, it didn't mention congestion in the nose or sore throat or fever. should I put anything on it like lotion or oil?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 1 hour later
Thanks for writing back.
This looks like molluscum contagiosum. The disease spreads by touch. Although these diseases do not co-exist with cough and cold, its possible that the cough and cold occurring at this time is just a co-incidence. However, this disease is more prevalent in children who get frequent allergies.

Also, you dont need to put anything on it. It would become ok on its own in a few months. If in some time, it doesnt get better, please see your family physician. We may need to do a skin biopsy.
Let me know if you have any more questions.