2 yrs old fussy eater, has got white spots on face. What could be the reason ?

My daughter is 2 years old ,she is very fussy about eating and takes really long to eat,and does not like to drink milk. in the morning around 10am she has either 1 chappati with sabji or rice with dal and a packet of chips(hippo) and then in school at around 12.30 she has 2/3 rotis with sabji.Then at around 4 we give her milk ,which she just doesnt have( not sure what to do?), so off late i have started with an XXXXXXX then she goes to garden and at around 8.15 p.m has her dinner. 2rotis and sabji.Since 3-4 months she has developed white spots on her face,what could be the reason for this?When we showed her peadatrician- he says it is due to sweating. but i am very worried.pls advice.Her weight is 10.68kgs
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 54 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

I would say for a 2 year old, her diet is ok. She has her cereals(rice),pulses(dal),sabji(vegetables) and occasionally milk. Are you vegetarian or non -veg.If non veg, it would be better to start her gradually on eggs and fish.What about fruits, try bananas etc.Do not force feed her,as she will dislike the concept of eating altogether.Make mealtimes fun and encourage &appreciate her when she eats well.If she doesn't like milk, try adding some bournvita powder to it.Her weight is appropriate for age.And if she is a healthy and active child , don't worry.

Coming to the spots on the face,is it white spots (like dots) or is it white flat patches on the skin. Vitamin defeciences etc can cause white(hypopigmented) spots/patches on the face.Vitamin defeciency is less likely since she is already on kidicare.

Most likely your daughter has Pityriasis alba(harmless condition).Nothing needs to be done.The patches will fade away on its own in about 6 months or so.

Hope the information I have provided would be of some use to you.If you have any further queries, I will be happy to answer them.

In case of no further queries, kindly accept the answer. Any reviews are welcome.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan