2 years old doesn't want to eat anything except bottle milk. Suggest?

Feb 2013

My 2 years old baby doesn't want to eat anything except bottle milk. I m giving her variety of foods including fruits but she takes only 2-4 bites then throw another bite from her mouth. I m so much worried.Doctors say her weight is ok and she is also active . but when will she start to eat properly.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Children around this age will have less appetite due the decreased growth rate in comparison to the previous years. This is a normal physiological phenomenon.

The other factors which contribute to her decreased or less interest to be fed are his interest in play and the development of autonomy.

Because of the development of autonomy and individuality, the child resists forceful feeding.

If the current weight is normal and her general health and activity is good, then nothin to worry.

What I advise you to gradually wean off the bottle feeding and restrict the quantity of her daily milk intake to less than 500ml.

Try to give home made balanced and nutritiou diet.

Ask her and encourage her to feed herself.

Follow the two spoon method. Give one spoon to her and ask her to feed herself and you can feed her with another spoon.

At dining keep a high chair with flank for the kid. Maker to sit along with the family members while dining, so that she will imitate and will have her meal.

Make meal timings pleasurable for her. Dont force or shout to feed her. Forceful feeding will lead to food aversion and vomitings.

Prepare her diet more attractive and kids too like the variations in the taste of their food.

An oral multivitamin supplementation can be given to improve the appetite to some extent.

Hope these above measures will help her to improve her diet intake.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.