2 year old having recurring cold and cough. No lung infection. Second opinion?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son aged 2 & half years is suffering from cough/cold/running nose. Contacted local doctors, they prescribed normal cough & cold medicines along with anti allergic medicine.
For last 7-8 months the symptoms are contd with breaks in between. Whenever we put him under medication situation gets normal but again after some time same starts.
Local doctors say that it is a normal and there is no need to worry, there is no any symptom of infection inside lunge
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 33 minutes later

I understand your concern as a vigilant and loving parent, and appreciate your efforts to obtain a second opinion.

On an average, children under five years do suffer from cough colds about 6-10 times in a year. Most of the times, it is just a viral infection and they may not even need an antibiotic.

So yes, it is a common situation in children as they have an immature immune system.

But the only thing you need to be concerned is that there should be no asthma like condition (wheeze, breathlessness, irritating cough without fever) or recurring tonsillitis .

This can be confirmed by your doctors by clinical evaluation as well as blood tests like CBC (complete blood counts), ESR (erythrocyte sedimentation rate), Throat swab etc.

At present, the situation does not seem to be worrisome and you need not do anything. You should ensure he has a balanced diet, plenty of water and adequate sleep for better immunity.

Please consult a pediatrician and get him investigated if he develops signs of asthma or tonsillitis in the near future.

Hope I have answered your query.