2 year old had mozzie bite just above his temple that has continued to swell. What could it be ?

My 2 year old son had what appeared to be a mozzie bite just above his temple this morning. Over the course of the day it has continued to swell and now is about an inch round and half an inch high. Any ideas what this could be/??
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The problem looks like an insect bite.
 ice wrapped in a towel or an ice pack will ease a mosquito bite's swelling. Even a cold can of soda or bottled water can do the job.

Aloe Vera gel is nature's perfect gift for treating mosquito bites. The coolness eases symptoms and forms a protective layer after application to reduce the risk of infection.

From the medicine cabinet, calamine lotion or a topical anesthetic (containing pramoxine) are effective mosquito bite treatments. One percent hydro-cortisone cream alleviates itching, as well.
 For more severe cases, an antihistamine such as Benedryl will also help, but check with your doctor before administering the medication for this reason.

If the mosquito bite does not respond to topical treatments and the skin around the area becomes warm, red and swollen, the bite may be infected.In this case you shall have to consult your doctor. 
Unfortunately beyond the irritation of bites, mosquitoes also carry diseases, picking up and passing them from person to person.
 If your child begin to experience headaches, fever, vomiting, chills, or muscle aches, he may have contracted something more than a bump from that mosquito bite. Contact your physician immediately if any of these symptoms develop.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any other query.
Best of luck.