2 year old child, vaginal and stomach pain, diarrhea, bacteria in urine. Taking vaginitis medication. Urine test done. Treatment?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
So this question has to do with my 2 year old toddler. Recently we have started potty training her and a few days after she started complaining that her vagina and stomach hurt. She also ran a low grade fever around this same time. I brought her to our local pediatrician and they collected a urine sample to make sure it wasn't a UTF. The urine showed she did not have a UTF but she did have bacteria and blood in her urine. They prescribed her a cream for vaginitis and they are running more test to make sure it's nothing more serious. The same day they collected the urine sample she started to have diarrhea. Her stools are very odd, lots of mucus and watery. Just within the last few hours the diarrhea has turned into a dark XXXXXXX flaky watery stool. Its so flaky it looks like we dumped uncooked oatmeal into her potty. Is this normal for a virus or should we be more concerned and take her into our local clinic.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 7 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for posting the query.

This looks like an infective diarrhea. You need to get a stool sample studied.

A course of appropriate antibiotics should help.

The only problem is the vaginitis. She should not have any reason to develop vaginitis.

The possibilities for this are
1. A congenital communication between the two passages,
2. poor hygiene in the region after passing stools.
3. due to ascending infection.

But the presence of blood in urine could suggest a congenital problem. You need to get her examined by a Urologist as well as by a Gynecologist to ascertain the cause before commencing treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in you have follow up queries.

Regards.