2 year old child, suffering from stomach pains, loose painful stools. Treatment for painful stools?

Hi there! My daughter is 2 and she is potty trained. She has been saying her belly And mostly her butt has been hurting for the past week. She trys to go to the bathroom and nothing comes out. She has has many accidents in the last week. She even pooped in the middle of the night and she hasn't done that since she was little. She seems to be in lots of pain right before she poops and has no control when she finally does poop.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have read your question and think that either of the following two possibilities may have occurred:

Either she has developed a rash or a crack in the skin around her anus and she is getting pain because of that. As a result of which, she tried to hold her stool in, and then defecates involuntarily when she can't hold it in any longer.

Another possibility, she may be having a colonic infection which is causing the disturbance in her stool pattern.

I request you to examine her anal orifice in bright light and check if the skin all around the anus is normal or cracked. If it is cracked (the crack may be very small and only visible when you stretch the skin here and there), then you may start applying a soothing substance like vaseline or a baby nappy cream three times a day. This will help her crack to heal, following which she will gradually improve.

Your doctor may also help you buy a local anesthetic gel like lignocaine, which will reduce the pain to a very tolerable level and allow her to pass her stools without straining. Once her colon is emptied, the involuntary accidents will stop.

If, on the other hand, a colonic infection is responsible, she will have to get a medical consultation and a stool test to identify the germs that caused the problem, and to then get a prescription of the appropriate medicine.

How to suspect this? She will, if she has an infection, have a sticky, foul-smelling or a liquidy stool. She may also run a slight fever. If none of these are present, an infection is extremely unlikely, but if she has no cracks and no rash, and the problem is not resolved, you may still have to visit her pediatrician to check her out.

I hope this reply guides you to the next step. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.