Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

2 year child swallowed 5 mm smooth edge metal hex nut. Looking for advice

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1982
Answered : 1021 Questions
my baby 2 year old has swallen 5 mm smooth edge metal hex nut.
X XXXXXXX shows it is in stomach. Doctor says/ hoping it will be come out from stool.
tell me what to do ? Baby ate banana and 1 glass of water and she didnt shown any abnormal symptoms and she is sleeping now..what to do ? kindly advice ?
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Bimal Desai 34 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
In the current circumstances, you dont have to do anything special. A wait and watch policy will be the best. Since the screw is already in the stomach, it will take time to travel to intestine. Peristaltic movements helps it further to come out.There are least chances of giving any penetration inside as it has smooth edge. It takes usually anything upto 3-4 days to come out. You have given banana its fine that will smooth the things. You can give one more. What you have to do is wait for 48 hours & just watch her stool for nut. Just give her liquids like milk,juice etc.
If she had pain or any distension of abdomen or fever or constipation or vomiting then consult your doctor immediately.
In all probability, it will come out without any complication.
Hope this helps
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor