2 year child suffering with severe cough and moderate cold. Can I use monocef and cefpodoxime?

My baby 2 yrs suffering with severe cough and moderate cold. Can I use monocef o 100 cefpodoxime antibiotic for her
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 25 minutes later
Thanks for writing in,
Cefodoxime is safe drug and can be given to your baby. I do not think it is appropriate at this time.
Generally cough and cold is due to viral infection, antibiotic may not be given and does not work too. Simple over the counter medications are given for children. Did you try Benadryl syrup? You can try it first.
Only if the cough is prolonged after 3 days we prescribe antibiotics like Cefopodoxime. It is better to consult your doctor and let him decide the medicine.
Hope, I answered your query. If you have further query or clarification, please ask.
I will be happy to help.
Wish you good health.