2 year child suffering from cold, cough. Not cured by relent syrup. Should I go for alternate medicine?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hello doctor
My two year old daughter is suffering from cold (running nose), and cough doctor has prescribed Relent syrup for both cold and cough but it is not curing, will this syrup cure both, or should we use different syrup, and how many days it takes to cure the cold and cough

My daughter will be infected very soon (fever, cold, cough , loose motion and vomiting) ho to look after her using home remedy

And last I need the information about flu injection

Posted Wed, 29 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 23 minutes later
Relent syrup contains cetrizine for cold and ambroxol for cough .
In minor cough with cold it might be enough but in case of bacterial upper respiratory infections it will not be effective .
After starting the treatment you can wait and watch for 3-5 days within which her symptoms should start decreasing and in a week to ten days the child should be fine.
If you feel there is absolutely no relief or worsening after such waiting period then it's best to get her reevaluated .The doctor might start her on a course of antibiotics like Cefixime or azithromycin for faster relief from infection.

Two year old children have not fully matured immunity and so might develop frequent infections. The best way to prevent it is to maintain good hygiene like frequent hand washing , bathing , brushing , cutting nails , avoiding junk food etc.
Another important aspect is to maintain a nutritious diet XXXXXXX in fruits and vegetables . It's common to see more infections in nutritionally deficient kids. During cold & anyways make sure they drink lots of water to improve their immunity.

3. Yes it is very much recommended that you vaccinate your child against vaccine preventable bacteria causing respiratory infections especially pneumococcal vaccine .
This can be given as a single dose intramuscular injection to a child above 2 yrs of age.It's helpful in preventing bacterial respiratory infections .

Hope I have answered your queries .
I'll be available for any follow up queries.