2 year child having motions started with vomiting. What medicine should be given?

Hello Doctor, My 2 year old child is having motions which is initially started with vomitings. He is not taking water or electrolyte drinks even if we force him. We plan to take him again to doctor in the morning. What do you suggest us to do ? He is not even taking milk now.
Posted Thu, 23 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Diarrhea and vomiting in children is usually brought on by gastrointestinal (GI) infections caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites. Most likely it is viral infection.

The main motive of treatment is prevention of dehydration. Preventing or treating dehydration in infants focuses on replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this.
Since your child is refusing to feed and oral fluids, an indoor treatment is necessary for him where adequate parenteral fluids can be administered.
You need to consult his pediatrician for an appropriate treatment.
Till then you can allow him to rest and give him a light snack of his choice. Fruit juices may also be helpful. Avoid giving him milk for a while.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.