2 year child having cough, stuffy nose while sleeping and red eye. Should I go for medical check up?

My 2 year old daughter has had a bad cough for the last 2 almost 3 weeks, stuffy nose and when she sleeps, she is drenched with sweat. Underneath her eyes is also red and sweaty. Should I take her to the hospital?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 46 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Cough more than 2 weeks needs to be evaluated. So, yes , I think your daughter should visit her paediatrician.

In the meantime I would suggest the following:

1. Give your daughter warm fluids to drink at regular intervals. Warm water, hot chocolate (Something she likes to drink).

2. Try to do steam inhalation (under parental supervision) 3 times a day. Maybe you can also join her and do steam inhalation together. Please be careful, don't stay too close to the steam.

3. Humidify the air by boiling water in a kettle and leaving it on, in a corner of the room when the child is sleeping . Never leave the child unattended with the kettle on in the room.

All the above measures might help by providing warmth, and relieve the chest congestion making it easier to breathe.

You might also want to give her 1 teaspoon of honey mixed with a pinch of freshly ground pepper powder 3 times a day. Might bring down the cough.

At any time if your daughter develops bouts of coughing, rapid breathing, high fever(temp. > 101 F),lethargy , drowsiness, grunting etc, please visit the hospital immediately. These are the danger signs.

I hope I have answered your queries .I will be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

In case you don't have any further queries, please accept my answer.

Any reviews are welcome.

Hope your daughter gets well soon.

Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan