2 month old having vomiting and loss of appetite. No Pyloric stenosis in the ultrasound. Advice?

Question
My baby is 2 months and 2 weeks old and breastfed. She has been vomiting for past 4 days. She has low appetite and has been very sleepy and has lost 6 ounces over these past 4 days. She is making wet diapers every six hours and does not have fever or diarrhea. My pediatrician has ruled out Pyloric stenosis after an ultrasound. Baby has no allergies that I am aware of and she not on any medications. Please help.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Pyloric stenosis is one serious condition presented by babies with frequent vomiting.Since its been ruled I would ask you not to worry now.

I would need to know some more details on your baby's condition to understand the problem better.

How many episodes do you breastfeed her in a day ?
Has she been on any foods or medications other than breast milk ?
How many episodes does she vomit in a day ?Do you see any abnormal colour in the vomitus ?
Do you see any colour change in her stool ?
Does the baby cry more ? Does she cry soon after vomiting ?
Is baby suffering from cough or had history of fever recently ?

I am waiting for the required information.

Follow-up: 2 month old having vomiting and loss of appetite. No Pyloric stenosis in the ultrasound. Advice? 54 minutes later
8-9 times normally
no
monday: 5 times
tuesday: 2 times
wednesday: 2 times
yes, her stool color was between dark to bright XXXXXXX it has changed to pale XXXXXXX or whitish XXXXXXX
the baby has been very sleepy / fussy, she has been crying while feeding, she pulls away. The baby cries after vomiting. For few days we have not had a normal session of 1/2 hour to 45 minutes, she pulls away after 5 minutes and there is excessive burping.
no

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Based on the description provided above I would consider that baby was probably suffering from mild gastric upset resulting in pain abdomen and reflex vomiting.The bright XXXXXXX colour of the stool supports this fact.The XXXXXXX colour to the stool is due to unmetabolised bile in the faeces which happens when there is reflex faster peristaltic movements in the intestine as a result of gastric upset.

The cause for such gastric upset could be due to many causes like disturbed timing of feeds,other oral feeds, breast milk substitute, ointments or creams applied to breast nipple, unclean nipple surface,gas in the abdomen etc

The specific and best treatment for such a condition is symptomatic with simple anti-emetics (anti vomiting) and antispasmodic (pain killer) medications.

Since the episodes of vomiting are decreasing symptom free days are near.Need not worry and continue breast feeding exclusively.The baby will be alright within few days.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.