2 1/2 year child having yellow, foamy, foul acidic-smelling diarrhoea. What is causing this?

Gastroenterologist
Question
My 2 1/2 year old son seems to have monthly bouts of yellow, foamy, foul acidic-smelling, diarrhea. Never has he had normal poops. When he was around 3 months he was diagnosed with MSPI due to blood in his stools - but seemed to have outgrown that by a year. He has been tested with allergies to eggs, wheat and severe peanut. Things I read online indicate a liver issue. What do you think?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 17 hours later
Dear,

Thanks for contacting healthcare magic with your query.

It is very difficult to decide what can be the cause of persistent diarrhea in your child. Allergy to wheat protein Gluten can cause persistent diarrhea. Since he has been tested positive to it (I am not sure what test was done), you should give a trial of gluten free diet to him for 6 months and see how he behaves with it. You should get his serum immunoglobulin A levels and IgA tissue transglutaminase antibody tests if not already done for Celiac disease.

I do not think it is due to liver disease. A possibility of pancreatic disease can be there, because the stool is foul smelling and foamy. I will advise that your pediatrician / gastroenterologist should investigate for pancreatic disease also.

Hope these suggestions help you.

Best wishes,

Dr Dinesh Singal