2 1/2 months child getting yellowish stool and allergic symptoms in hands and legs. What to do?

Ayurveda Specialist
hi doctor,
My son is 2 &half months old. He is breast fed and also formula fed baby. He is 5.54 kg Now he is getting some allergic symptoms in hands and legs and at times he is going black with yellow stools. What to be done for this?
Posted Thu, 30 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 6 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I have gone through your detail regarding your son. The note at one point is not very clear whether the colour of his complexion goes black or the colour of stools becomes black. The type of rashes visible can be attributed to number of factors right from infection transferred through contact , whether associated with fever and running nose as in chicken pox etc. If there is no fever or running nose and rashes are of more than 10 days duration then make decoction of neem leaves and add this decoction to his bathing water. Internally anti allergic medicines will do good.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Follow-up: 2 1/2 months child getting yellowish stool and allergic symptoms in hands and legs. What to do? 7 hours later
Thank you for your answer.
His complexion has not changed.His stools are black and yellow at times. The rashes are seen for 4 days. its gradually increasing. He has no fever & running nose. Whether formula feeding (lactogen) becomes allergy? No diapers used as of now.
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 8 hours later
Hello dear,

I have gone through your follow up query.

In reply to this, I would like to make it clear that anything under this sky can be allergic to anybody at any time. As far as formula feeding is concerned the chances for allergy are very rare but cannot be ruled out. The type of skin rashes that are visible may not be attributed only to allergy, it can be skin infection that was infected some time back and after incubation period presented now.

Well dear as far color of stools is concerned, yellowish stools are normal, brownish may indicate some indigestion but blackish stools specially termed as tarry black calls for investigation as many a times it is indication of some internal bleeding. Please check the color again and then decide whether it is brownish or tarry black.
For skin rashes, you can add neem leave decoction to bathing water.

Hope this helps.

Follow-up: 2 1/2 months child getting yellowish stool and allergic symptoms in hands and legs. What to do? 38 hours later
Hi Doctor,
Thank you for your treatment. It was very helpful.
With concerned to stools, it is greenish yellow in colour. What does it indicate and what to be done for that?
Whether he is in normal weight doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul 10 hours later

Greenish yellow stools do not indicate serious problem; it is common with indigestion. In some cases where feed is not proper or hygiene is compromised greenish yellow stools are seen.

More than colour in such cases, frequency is what matters much.

Regarding feeding it is very common that whenever baby cries mother offers feed. Many a time baby cries for indigestion and more feed will increase the problem, so offer feed at regular timings. If bottle is used it is usual practice to boil bottle once and then wash with water and give the next feed. This is totally wrong as bacteria generate around nipple due to traces of milk which baby sucks when he takes milk, so when once feed in bottle is given it must be boiled again.
In such cases usually chavarka for kids is given which cures. This contains saunf, gauzban, XXXXXXX and rooh kewara. If this is not available just boil saunf in water and give this 2/3 spoons to baby. He will be cured.

Hope this helps.

Thanks again.
Dr. Rajesh Lakhanpaul