19 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound showed shadow in the baby's heart. What's wrong?

Hello. I am now nineteen weeks pregnant. About a week ago, I went for an ultrasound and they said everything looked fine except for a shadow in the baby's heart. I was told it was most likely nothing but they want me to go for another ultrasound in 8 weeks. I haven't been able to speak with anyone at the doctor's office to get more information except the receptionist, which was very unhelpful. I am really worried! Can you tell me what a shadow on the heart might mean and how likely it is that something is wrong with my baby's heart?
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Having an echogenic shadow on ultrasound in the baby's heart is an insignificant finding in almost 97% cases. In some cases, this might be associated with Down's syndrome. Getting your serum AFP levels evaluated will be helpful.
Also, you can plan a level II ultrasound scan after 8 weeks to study the fetal anatomy more closely.
Please do not worry and wait for your next ultrasound.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.