18 month old child, arms became freezing cold, loss of appetite, arms not warm even with massage and warm clothes. Causes ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question son 18 month old and yesterday his both arms went absolutly cold and been all day and all night and now morning still frizing cold i try dress him warm then made massage blood circulatin nothing help, i wonder why it happen what it is? He lost apetite and cry not him self last night. Night before he wasent good eather had temperature 38C .but yesterday arms from top to fingers very cold .now 8am still cold. Thank you .Iona
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later

Body temperature varies from core to periphery by about one degree, so as it is the head and abdomen is always warmer than the limbs.

Peripherals can be cold in case of inadequate circulation like in cold weather, or any illness or infection, serious enough like sepsis to cause shock and therefore peripheral constriction of blood vessels, or sometimes as a sideeffects of antipyretics, or allergy or in dehydration.

So first of all, please tell me detailed history of any cough cold or any illness or allergy or drug intake.
Also the most important is to measure the temperature with the thermometer in the armpit for three full minutes, 37 ° celcius or 98 _99 farenheit would be normal temperature.

Next is to provide baby plenty of fluids to keep him well hydrated. If temperature is still subnormal, please consult your pediatrician for complete assessment and diagnosis so that any infection or allergy or any illness can be ruled out and treated accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries.