18 month child having fever. Diagnosed with virus. Noticed rashes below eye and behind ear. Any ideas?

My 18 month old granddughter has been running a fever 102 (highest 104) for four days. We took her to the dr. on day 2 and he said it was a virus and to treat only the fever. Today she woke up with a rash below her eyes and behind her ears. We're taking her back to the doctor today. Any ideas?
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 20 minutes later

Your doctor is right in asking to treat the child symptomatically, as viral fever do not have specific treatment and most of them are self limiting.

More then 90% viral infection are associated with rashes over the body.Sometimes generalized and sometimes focal.Usually such rashes are haemhorrhagic and disappear with viral infection without needing any specific treatment.

Its always good to get examined, do take a second opinion from her treating doctor.I shall just assure you that there would be no need to worry.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.