18 days old baby feeds properly but not frequently. Has queasiness when lies down and burps. Suggest?

Feb 2013

hello Sir, My baby is 18 days old. He feeds properly but not frequently. He feeds only once in 3-4 hours. He does not cry much, however recently he has this feeling of puke (queasiness) when he lies down or sleeping. Even though he burps 2-3 times before sleeping, his sleep gets disturbed many times because of this queasiness. I dont know if Colicaid drops would help. Is this something to worry about? Thanks
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry. it is normal.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

As the child takes feeds properly, nothing worry anout the frequency of his feeds.
Feeding once in 3-4 hours is okay if the child weight gain is appropriate, passing adequate amounts of urine, and not crying for more feeds after each feeding.

Demanding feed with exclusive breast feeds is the best method to feed the infant.

Whenever the child cries for feeds with hungry, give feeds. This helps to develop a regular bonding between the child and mother.

Coming to his feeling of puke or queasiness, it is common in and a normal phenomenon in infants in early months because of lax lower sphincter og the food pipe.

As the age increases, most of kids will overcome this problem.

After each feed, hold the child in upright position on your shoulder and tap gently on his back so that he will burp to expell the air from food pipe. After burping only, put him to bed in lying position for sleep.

In spite of burping, he may take out little bit of feeds but nothing to worry as spitting of small amounts of feeds in the form of curds is normal.

Colic aid has no role in his feeling of puke. It is given for infantile colic which usually presents with excessive crying with pain in stomch after 1 month of age.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.