1.6 years old suffering from fever. Given wikoryl and crocin. Is this safe to give?

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter is 1.6yrs old and she is suffering from fever since a day. Yday, she had 4 times wikoryl and last time she had around 9PM wikoryl oral drops and then now 12.20 AM, we gave crocin 2.5mg? is that safe to give as her temprature was around 101.8
Posted Wed, 1 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later
Dear,

Thank you for addressing this query on this platform. I am going to try and answer your question. It appears that you are using Wikoryl drops from a previously given prescription of a doctor. If that is correct, I would suggest you to stop self-prescription. Wikoryl contains an anti-histamine which is generally given for nose congestion and cold or flu like symptoms. If she has no watering of the nose, Wikoryl may not do anything other than causing her to go to sleep.

If fever alone is your concern, using paracetamol drops or syrup (such as the Crocin that you gave) is the right and the only medication-related solution. In addition, if the temperature crosses 100 degree F, also start sponging her with tap water; for this, remove her dress and continuously wipe her body from the neck to the knees - till the mouth temperature drops below 99.

The dose of paracetamol that you should use should be 5-6 ml if syrup and about 15-18 drops if you are using drops ... each time.

Before assuming that this is a virus or something, I would also suggest that you show her to a pediatrician and take his/her opinion regarding a complete physical examination, need for a blood test or X XXXXXXX or urine test, and further guidance on therapy.

I will await your further reply.

Thank you once again, and may I wish you warm regards.

Dr. Taher