Ask a Urologist   »  

16 year old with a tight frenulum, pain while retracting foreskin. Will the insurance cover for penile health treatments?

my friend is 15, when he was 14 he went to his family doctor and told her of having a tight frenulum. He believes he has frenulum breve. When he is flaccid he stretches it out flat and it bends at a angle, and when hes erect, it is unconfortable and some what painful to pull the foreskin back and past the Coronal groove. The doctor disregarded it because of his age and told him to wait until he was 16. Now hes only 5 months away and theirs still no change, How does he ask for a Referral to a urologist? from his G.P. and hes been researching treatments, such as stretching, frenulumoctomy and circumcision. Would the government insurance cover a procedure like those if it was deemed necesarry to his penile health, or would he have to pay out of pocket? and can he as a teen chose which procedure he wants and needs?
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

A tight frenulum is commonly seen in children and in most of the cases the skin becomes elastic enough to retract over completely by the age of sixteen. In minor cases, self manipulation helps in full recovery.

In your friend's case, waiting for 5 months more will be advisable. He can ask for a referral to the urologist from his G.P. after that.

Government insurance covers the procedures like frenulectomy or circumscision as these are necessary for penile health. Yes, as a teen he can choose the appropriate procedure after consulting with his urologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.