16 weeks pregnant, headache, tension, high BP, aldomet. Normal?

I am a 29 year old female, i am 16 weeks pregnant. My doctor just recently put me on medicine for headaches. when i get them they usually hurt in the front of my forehead and on the top. I this a cause for concern? No i dont have any vision problems when i have the headaches. I just didnt know if these were like tension headaches or if i should be really concerned. ive got one right now and it just hurts like behind my left eye and on top of my head. I also take aldomet for high blood pressure, but the past few days my blood pressure has been normal and not over 120/80
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 18 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I see that your headache is of concern. Thanks for elaborating on that, I get the feeling it is not migraine/ hypertensive headache/myopia associated.

Yes, tension headache is a possibility, especially during pregnancy which are most commonly the result of hormonal changes, fatigue, tension, hunger or physical and emotional stress.

Your blood pressure changes has not caused this. And aldomet is a safe drug that does not cause any headache as a side effect.

I would advice you to take it easy, firstly. As this is very common amongst pregnant women.

Then, I would like you to cut "stress" at the bud in ALL your daily routine. And I would advise you the following for now:

1. Go for a good mild walk in the morning.
2. Do not skip meals/ eat in periodic intervals.
3. Do not see TV / Movies with undue violence/disturbing scenes.
4. Avoid arguments/anger.
5. Vent out your feelings by trying something like yoga/exercise/meditation.

In case nothing works, after completely trying all the above - you could review again with the gynecologist further.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Follow-up: 16 weeks pregnant, headache, tension, high BP, aldomet. Normal? 40 minutes later
Thank you for your advice, i was just afraid this was something serious. and it does seem to hit me when i need to eat something or get upset about something. It sometimes seems to get better when i am lying down with the lights out. would you recommend i get an eye exam to check my eye sight? I was afraid too that it could be the sign of a stroke or someting, in cases like that would my blood pressure be elevated? thanks again for your help.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 4 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, as you can see for yourself - stress brings on your headache.
I would recommend a eye test only if you have vision difficulties, and headache glasses are not for you.

No, certainly not a stroke - yes elevated blood pressure is one of the risk factors, but it has a unique set of symptoms, which you have not shown at this time.

You may proceed as advised.

Write in for further explanations.

Follow-up: 16 weeks pregnant, headache, tension, high BP, aldomet. Normal? 38 hours later
Im having pain in my left it comes and goes, and in my right jaw. My blood pressure is fine and im not having any chest pain. Should this be a cause for.concern?
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Sorry your question seems incomplete. Left ... ?

Right jaw pain would need evaluation.

Not a concern, if not for prolonged period.