16 month child having runny nose and cough. Is it safe to give commercial type probiotic drinks?

Question
Can i give my 16 month granddaughter the commercial type probiotic drinks that you can buy in the supermarket? The ones I drink myself. She has been on a course of antibiotics for a runny nose and cough, but is all good now. If I can, how much can she have.?
XXXXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Aug 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX,
Welcome to healthcare magic!
You should refrain from giving these medicines to the baby.
The prebiotics and probiotics are being questioned by physicians in large trials currently and there indications are getting narrowed down and redefined.
The can not be considered as health supplements and when taken from dubious sources can be counterproductive.
I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!