15 year old taking Zoloft for OCD. Can Afrin nasal spray and Generic Nyquil be taken with this medication?

I have a 15 year old daughter on zoloft for ocd. She is 4 10 and 110 lbs and is taking 1/2 of a 100mg tablet of Zoloft per night. She has been taking it for about 3 months. She is not allergic to any other medicines. She has come down with a really bad nose cold, and its to late at night to call her doctor. All i have is Afrin nose spray or Generic Nyquil are either of these safe for her to take.. Thank you for your time N. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms that your child is having. There are major interactions between Nyquil which contains acetaminophen/dextromethorphan/doxylamine/pseudoephedrine and hence it is advisable NOT to use Nyquil when your daughter is on Zoloft. It may potentiate the risk of serotonin syndrome, which is a rare but serious and potentially fatal condition.

Symptoms of the serotonin syndrome may include mental status changes such as irritability, altered consciousness, confusion, blood pressure lability, and mydriasis; neuromuscular abnormalities and gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal cramping, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Please DO NOT use Nyquil with Zoloft.

There are no reported interactions between Afrin nasal spray and Zoloft and it can be used but it is advisable to use it under medical supervision. You can call up your daughter’s doctor and inform him regarding the same.

However, the golden rule for sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the build up of mucus in the nose. So ask your daughter to do it 2-3 times a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.