15 weeks pregnant. Blood test showed mcv of 101. Should I be concerned ?

Nov 2013

I am 15 weeks pregnant and my blood work came back with mcv of 101. Should I be concerned ? I am due to take the dvla medical in 4 weeks to get my licence re instated. Would this level be acceptable ?

Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.
First of all, let me reassure you that a high MCV is not to get too worried about.
There are two common reasons for a high MCV:
1. Alcohol consumption related- as you have given a history of excessive alcohol consumption in the past, that could be the reason in your case. Since you have stopped consuming alcohol now, it should be helpful.
2. Macrocytic anemia- MCV can increase in patients with deficiency of folate and vitamin B12, which is referred to as macrocytic anemia. However, hemoglobin may be normal in this case.
I would request you to get the blood tested for folate and vitamin B12 levels. If they are low, you could take supplements of these vitamins.
I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM