15 months old on antibiotic for ear infection. Started vomiting and loose motions. Any suggestions?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Hi Doctor,
My daughter is 15 months old . She had ear infection initially for which doctor had given antibiotic.
After 1 day she start vomiting and loose motions too. Due to frequent loose motions doctor has given glucose bottle.
After that she was well for 20 hrs .Now again she started loose motions.
Please suggest wht should i do as i am staying far from my daughter she is at my home town.
Please guide
Posted Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 39 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us
I can understand your concern.
Do not worry.
Most of the diarrhoea in these babies is due to viral infection. What your baby needs now is to avoid dehydration- if there is no vomiting, it is a good sign. Ask her mother to check whether the baby is passing usual amount of urine and is playing as usual. If that is the case, then you need not worry. The loose motions will stop in 2-3 days time.
Keep giving oral electrolytes which are available in sachets mixed in clean boiled water. Give 2-3 ounces of this water after every motion passed. There is no need for antibiotics now.
All the best
Dr Uma