15 months child became lethargic, pale yellow after a flu vaccine. Diagnosed hemolytic anemia. Effect of vaccine ?

Question
My grandson - age 15 months received his vaccines along with a flu vaccine on Feb 3rd. He became more lethargic and very pale yellow over the weekend and was taken for tests on Feb 7th. He has since been diagnosed with hemolytic anemia. Can vaccines bring this on and what are the long term effects of hemolytic anemia?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

I am sorry to hear your grandson has got Hemolytic anemia. Your grandson has received flu vaccine few days back upon which he developed Hemolytic anemia.

Acquired Hemolytic anemia, can most probably be caused by the body’s reaction to vaccines, medications, infections and toxins. But certain studies do say that the predisposition to children to Hemolytic anemia following vaccination might be due to genetic causes too. This is all still in the research level, so nothing can be told confidently.

Autoimmune diseases might occur after immunization in some children because proteins on microbial pathogens are similar to human proteins and could induce immune responses that damage human cells. There are certain cases that have come to light due to this.

Hemolysis is destruction of blood vessels before their normal life span of 120 days. It commonly causes acute or chronic anemia, reticulocytosis, or jaundice. The most common treatment procedures used in Acquired Hemolytic anemia (AHA) is folate therapy, blood transfusion (if there is marked anemia).

In severe cases of immune-related hemolytic anemia, steroid therapy are given

Other forms like Intravenous immunoglobulin G (IVIG) has been used for patients with AIHA (Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia).

I hope you can start the treatment after discussing with your doctor whether it is actually acquired or hereditary cause of Hemolytic anemia.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no further follow ups please accept my answer.

Regards.

Follow-up: 15 months child became lethargic, pale yellow after a flu vaccine. Diagnosed hemolytic anemia. Effect of vaccine ? 10 hours later
Thank you for your response. Can you tell me #1 - What is folate therapy and #2. What are long term effects of hemolytic anemia?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Radhika 13 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

1. Folate therapy is iron therapy meaning taking iron tablets, syrup etc..

2. The symptoms will be chills,fatigue,fever,pale skin color ,rapid heart rate,shortness of breath,jaundice.The long term effects if not treated adequately will be enlarged spleen and liver and rarely cardiovascular collapse.I am sure with the right treatment your grandson will be fine.

Wish your grandson good health.

Regards.