15 month old has bloating in stomach , cries in pain. What should I do ?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Hi my 15 month old son had gastro last week and now he has really bad bloating in his tummy and cries in pain what should i do is this normal after gastro even though he had it 7 days ago?
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 10 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for posting your query .
Yes, bloating or abdominal distension can be commonly seen after gastroenteritis . The bowel distension causes pain and further crying by the child which worsens the distension due to air ingestion .
The cause of the bloating could be an unresolved infection by gas producing bacteria or a temporary decrease in function of the gastrointestinal tract due to which digestion is affected causing intolerance to food and bloating.
I assume that your child has been thoroughly evaluated and treated for the gastroenteritis by his pediatrician who can start symptomatic as well as definitive treatment after confirming the cause.
Symptomatic treatment includes antispasmodic digestive syrups like dicylomine and neopeptine for pain and bloating as well as probiotics multivitamin zinc supplements which help in bowel healing & recovery after gastroenteritis .
For specific treatment it's advisable that the child be thoroughly evaluated by a pediatrician before starting antibiotic therapy .
If he has already completed treatment course and still having such symptoms it could be a sequelae of the infection per se or due to the medications taken.
So please do not worry as the situation at present is not much worrisome but does warrant further investigation.
Meanwhile make sure the child has plenty of water and other home available fluids to improve his hydration and digestion and cut down on foodstuffs like dairy products, bakery products and high fibre,oily or canned foods to decrease bloating .
Offer small frequent meals rather than spaced out large meals.
Make sure he has enough sleep and physical activity to help him recover faster.
In case he develops any new symptom like diarrhea or fever or rash then seek prompt consultation for reevaluation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you and your child good health.