1.5 month baby having frequent bowel movements. Stool test done. What treatment should be done?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
My baby 1.5months, on stool test there are 3-30 white blood cells in her stool. Her has poop around 10 times a day, and her poop with a lot of water. Her growing well the weight from 3600g to 5600g ontill now. Do you know why? And what we can do for her? Worring!Thank you very much!
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
Hi
Often motions following feeds in newborn is normal, but when watery and has pus cells
In stools, its likely that there is some infection, that may need stool culture
To diagnose further. Good weight gain suggests no dehydration at present.keep
A close watch on urine output. Such infections are often treated with specific antibiotics.
Please visit a doctor to understand seriousness of infection.get a blood test called quantitative
Crp done, and report back. Thank you.

Follow-up: 1.5 month baby having frequent bowel movements. Stool test done. What treatment should be done? 58 minutes later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
I have questions,Did you ever had same patients like my baby in the real? Any flowup conclutions? What kind of infections that my baby has? Thank you!

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 17 minutes later
Dear XXXXXXX
Being a pediatrician, we see a good nunber of such paatients
On day to day basis.
As there are a large number of reasons for such frequent watery stools
Even in good weight babies. Commonest, on follow up turns out to be
Gastrocolic reflex, infections,lactose intolerance,osmotic diarrheas etc
In same order. But we,do see a good number of. Children progressing to dehydration
Or severe systemic infection when the child is as small as 1.5 months
If this case likely to be an infection and though watery diarrhea is common
In viral infection, I would say that this infection is more likely to ,be bacterial
And hence I asked for a specific test and visit to aspeciist because sitting at home
Parents cannot clearly judge severity of situation in such a small baby
Thanks.

Follow-up: 1.5 month baby having frequent bowel movements. Stool test done. What treatment should be done? 6 hours later
Thank you very much for you help! I will give you a good review after I get more informations from different experts. Wish you understand, we really want to lern more form this. Thanks again.:)

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 38 hours later
Nice to know about this XXXXXXX Thanks for the complement. I would be happy to address your various concerns if any..after your thorough analysis. Remember, half knowledge can be XXXXXXX So lots of medical terminologies may complicate your understandings. Thanks again.