15 days old baby cannot be breastfed as there is no breast milk. Feeding cow's milk. Suggest?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
my baby is,of 15 days only.but my wife cant feed her milk to the baby.because,she have till not available breast milk.she is feeding cow milk to the baby.when breast milk will start.pls help..
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stress and tension free environment, balanced diet

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Breast milk is usually available in first 24 to 48 hours of delivery in primi mothers to newborn babies.

Many psychological factors in mother such as stress, anxiety, mental tension, and physical health problems will delay in the production of breast milk.

Ask the mother to have a positive attitude towards breastfeeding and if she is having any stress, anxiety, apprehension, and tension, they should be taken care of.

Ask her to take a balanced nutritious diet and to give breast feeds as sucking of nipples by the child will produce breast milk by reflex mechanism.

I advise you to stop giving cow's milk as it will lead to allergy, indigestion, and infection of gut in infants.

In spite of a good balanced diet and removing the tensions and stress in mother, still if the breast milk is not available, I advise you to consult the gynecologist to prescribe her medication to promote the production of breast milk.

Drug like metoclopramide has been suggested to improve the breast milk production.

It is a prescribed drug and should be used under the supervision of the doctor.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: 15 days old baby cannot be breastfed as there is no breast milk. Feeding cow's milk. Suggest? 2 hours later
Very hopefully, We are trying to increase adequet breast milk.and taking care for both baby and wife..Your advice is also help full for us.Our doctor suggested DEXOLAC powder for baby.Is there any side effect of this powder?
At the moment,Baby not suffering any of problem or not crying..But we worry about the breast milk..
Can we feed Dexolac instead of Cow milk..
We really worrying about Breast milk...

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dexolac can be give. No side effects.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.

I appreciate your support to mother and baby in establishing breast feeding.

Instead of cow's milk, you can feed the baby with formula milk like Dexolac as suggested by the doctor.

Usually there are no side effects with Dexolac formula milk if it is given as per the instructions and under strict hygienic feeding method.

But you should take strict hygienic and sterile measures while preparing, handling, and during feeding the child with formula milk.

I advise you to stop worrying and be positive to feed the baby with breast milk.

Regards.