14 year old with stomach cramps. Blood test report normal. Awaiting for X- ray report. Can he attend school?

Question
my son is 14 and has a stabbing/cramp pain in his abdomen and has been out of school for 5 days. Should i send him still or keep him at home? the doc took blood test and x-rays; blood is fine still waiting on x-ray.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 57 minutes later

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your son’s condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     How does the pain begin? - Sudden or gradually.
2)     What is the pattern of the pain? - Crampy or steady.
3)     What is the site of the pain?
4)     What makes the pain worse?
5)     What relieves the pain?
6)     Are there associated signs and symptoms like fever, diarrhea or rectal bleeding?

Considering your son’s symptoms, it is advisable to keep him at home till the reports of the abdominal x-ray / ultrasound is ready and a diagnosis is made.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please do send back the answers to these questions. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: 14 year old with stomach cramps. Blood test report normal. Awaiting for X- ray report. Can he attend school? 14 hours later
the pain is sudden and stays for about 20 min and it is crampy. the site is the top and bottom section. making a ball makes it better stretching and taking a XXXXXXX breath makes it worse

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Abdominal pain that comes on suddenly suggests a sudden event, for example, the interruption of the supply of blood to the colon (ischemia) or obstruction of the bile duct by a gallstone (biliary colic). Pain due to inflammation (appendicitis, diverticulitis, cholecystitis, pancreatitis) typically is aggravated by sneezing, coughing or any jarring motion. Patients with inflammation as the cause of their pain prefer to lie still. So it can be due to inflammation which is causing such a pain.

You should get an ultrasound abdomen done for your child and get him seen by a physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.