14 year old with frequent episodes of swollen hand with purple and white spots. No pain. What are these?

General Surgeon
I have a 14 year old son. His right hand was swollen and bluish purple with white spots, left hand wasn't as bad but did have the same coloring. Then later in the evening that went away and his hands were really red. Wish I knew what was going on. If anyone has suggestion on what to do I'd greatly appreciate them. He says it does\n't hurt, or feel numb. Happens 2 or 3 times a week, different times of the day, never at the same time, may be at school, church, home, etc., could be inside or outside. Just never know when it's going to happen. Have thought about taking him to the emergency room when it happens, but by the time you get there they have gone back to some what normal. Would think it's all in my head but 2 or 3 times now someone else has been there to see them that way.
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 1 hour later
Whether the spots are disappearing spontaneously or by elevation of the limb?
If at all they are disappearing after elevation ,they are Bier's spots.The cause is not known in most of the cases.
As the colour of the hand is changing from bluish purple to red,these spots are related to vessel abnormalities.Another possibility is constitutional speckled vascular mottling.
When the lesions appear next time,take him to a dermatologist next time immediately or you can take photographs when the lesions appear and show to him.
But,these type of lesions do not have any cause and do not need treatment.
But,Dermatologist should be consulted for correct diagnosis and associated conditions,if any.
Wish him good health