13 years old noticed semen after urination and having body odor. What does this mean?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor

My kid is 13 year old, I havent noticed any sign of Puberty yet except body odor but he is noticing semen after he pees, no wet dreams yet actually ... does this mean he became an adult ?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 57 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

Puberty is a process that goes through various stages. Adulthood by definition starts after 18 years age. Your child is an adolescent, he should have good length and width of penis on erection and he may start ejaculating semen by age 14.. and may have other secretions around penis by age 11-12 years.
Body odour is a very poor sign of puberty. Wet dreams may start sooner he starts ejaculating although not a must.

To understand stages to adulthood please copy paste URL on your browser http://learningbasics.blogspot.in/2007/04/tanner-staging-sexual-maturity-score.html

I hope this solves your query. feel free to follow up with any details needed .
thank you.

Follow-up: 13 years old noticed semen after urination and having body odor. What does this mean? 1 hour later

Thanks

So is this sign of anything ? What do you mean by "He should have a good length ... semen by age 14" ... is this general info or expectation based on the information I gave you ?

Should we congratulate him ok you became a Man now ? you know we consider this as a sign where God/Angels will start to count for his sins ... so its good to know :)

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Hi there

Here is explanation for your concerns:

So is this sign of anything ?
==== what you see need not be semen but some secretions by glands in urethra and may not be semen. This is just a stage of development and doesn't mean that he has become an adult yet.

What do you mean by "He should have a good length ... semen by age 14" ... is this general info or expectation based on the information I gave you
==== This obviously is a general info. There are likely to be individual variations by 1-4 years.

Should we congratulate him ok you became a Man now ?
=== Its good to tell him that not to feel shy or get annoyed even if there is an ejaculation. You need not congratulate obviously but make him aware of various signs of adulthood that may start creating a confusion in his mind. This may cause a conflict with peers or family members if one does not respect his feeling of being a man, if any.

you know we consider this as a sign where God/Angels will start to count for his sins ... so its good to know :)
=== sure.. but I think its too early to count based on limited information. You may wait for a night-fall or wet dream for it to occur.

Thanks again. take care.