13 years old is having huge belly. What could be the reason?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My daughter is obsessing that there is something wrong with her 13 month old daughter because she has a very huge belly. Our granddaughter eats well, pees and poops normally, walks and plays normally. What can my wife and I say to alleviate our daughter's concerns.
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 7 hours later

Thanks for the details.

As you say that she is otherwise normal with normal bowel habits and urination, this is unlikely to be a serious problem!

However as grandparents with more experience, are you convinced that she does not have big belly???

The causes of big belly in a child can be
1. Kidney anomalies (there is a condition with prune belly appearance)
2. Lax abdominal wall
3. Rarely some fluid collection in the abdomen

If you are in doubt whether or not this child is normal, I would encourage her to be examined by a pediatrician once. If doubtful, we can have an ultrasound abdomen - that will clarify all doubts.

By the way, you did not mention the baby's weight. Sometimes obese babies have an apparently big tummy.

Hope this explanation suffices. Should you need more information, please write back.

Good luck and God bless

Dr Uma