13 years old has short height. Is there any medical treatment to increase height?

My son is 13 years old and his height, as per one of the doctors is less by 5".
Is there any medical treatment for increasing the height?. My height is 5.7" and my wife's hight is 5.4".
Posted Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 18 hours later

Boys grow in height till 18 years of age and adolescent growth spurt takes lead from 13 to 18 years age. So it will be too early to comment about his final height. On an average boys do not grow beyond 13.5 cm above mean of father's height and mother's height.

Doctors assume some child has short height on basis of growth chart. However a single reading may not be reliable as child may have low growth speed in height in first decade of life.. more so if parents to had similar growth speed. This is absolutely normal.

Height is also assessed in relation to weight and maturity of bones. It will be very appropriate to comment on your son's height if the details of height and weight are mentioned. On an average, at 4 year age child should be 100 cm and at 10 year age, child should not be less than 120 cm. and at 18 years should be at least 140 cm plus. But this potential is often affected even by birth weight and related issues.

There are some serious causes of short stature, that can only be commented if we have basic investigations done. Please get him evaluated for bone age, TSH T3, T4 levels and IGH assay to look for treatable causes if any. Often they are normal, but if any issue.. it can surely be rectified.

Follow-up: 13 years old has short height. Is there any medical treatment to increase height? 44 minutes later
thank you
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later
Most welcome…

If you have no further query, please close this discussion.
I would appreciate your reviews about this service.