13 year old losing hair at the crown of the head. History of baldness. Could it be treated?

hcmg0000 - My son is almost 13 years old and i notice that he has thinning hair at the crown of his head. His father and adult brother are both bald... could he be already going bald? If so is there anything we can do to treat it? He does not want to be bald. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 8 hours later
Hair disorders may be familial in nature but that is not always the case
In any hair disorder, proper history and examination and some investigations are needed before reaching to any conclusion.

As I believe that more information can help a physician reach an accurate diagnosis, I would request you to answer the following questions:

1.     What is nutritional status of your son?
2.     Has his haemoglobin level been tested? Have any other investigations been given?
3.     When did the baldness start in your husband and elder son?

Main cause of hair disorder in child is nutritional deficiency.

Keeping in mind the family history, some hair shaft disorders have to be ruled out in his case.
For that, the hair has to be examined under high power lens (microscope/dermascope).

Male pattern baldness may be another cause, though not very common to start at this age.

Now with latest treatment available, baldness can be prevented after proper diagnosis of the cause.

I would advise you to get him examined by a dermatologist.

With Best regards
Dr Rohit Batra