13 year child's hand started hand trembling. Should I go for check up?

My daughter is 13 and has just come downstairs with her left hand trembling. You can visibly see it trembling. She said that she can feel it in her forearm too. When i hold her hand it stops. What is this? Should I take her to the hospital?
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 3 hours later

I am sorry to hear about your daughter. If it is an isolated incident which I feel it is, I would not worry about it.

The most common cause is called "muscle fasciculation" or muscle twitch where some local muscles go with contractions and relaxations visible under the skin. You should contact Paediatrician if the condition becomes recurrent and persistent. She should have full neurological examinations, blood tests for blood sugar, thyroid function test, electromyography, nerve conduction studies, etc.

I hope your daughter will be better soon. Let me know if you need any more help.

Kindest regards,