13 year child having swollen and hard nipple. Painful to touch. What is going on?

My 13 yo son has had a swollen nipple for about 3 weeks. Now, it has become hard, behind his nipple. I thought it was puberty related, until it got hard, now I'm not sure. No discharge. Only painful to the touch
Posted Sun, 12 Aug 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.
Having enlarged nipples is common in boys during puberty.

It is called gynecomastia and occurs as a result of hormonal changes. Due to extra estrogen, breast tissue increases in size.

If pain persists, along with swelling; get examined by doctor to rule out mastitis as males tend to squeeze enlarged breast causing infection. In this case, course of antibiotics is required.

As pain is present , breast cancer is unlikely.
Consult physician to rule out mastitis and gynecomastia; if pain persists and becomes severe.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of any doubt, I shall be happy to help you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.