13 weeks pregnant, ultrasound normal, noticed bulge inside the vagina with finger. What is it ?

I am 31 years old, 5 feet 4 inches tall and approximately 140lbs. I am currently 13 weeks pregnant. Monday we saw baby on an ultrasound looking good, 167 bpm. Thursday my husband noticd something didnt feel right inside my vagina. I just assumed he was being "a boy". Then today he noticed again but said it was bigger. I washed my hands well and inserted my middle finger inside, only to notice that there is a bulge in there that I could feel by the time my middle finger was in to the 2nd knuckle. Im very worried what this is.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

What he and you are feeling could be a few different possibilities. Let me reassure you that if an ultrasound was done it means the physicians are aware where the baby sits in the uterus which makes the possibility that what you feel is concerning relatively low.

One possibility is that you are feeling a cyst. Sometimes a cyst may form in the vagina. They can sometimes become painful as well and usually these resolve slowly with some time as well as some warm soaks in the tub.

One other possibility is that you are feeling the cervix of the uterus which can sometimes swell and move a bit as the uterus gets larger with the pregnancy.

Let me reassure you that what I am hearing from you here does not make me wry concerned at all about the pregnancy. At the same time you much inform your doctor of this in case he would want to examine you to confirm again that this is not worrisome.

In the absence of being able to examine you it is a bit difficult to draw any conclusions but I am confident again that this is not worrisome.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my response is helpful for you and if you have any additional concerns I am here for you.

Dr. Galamaga