12 years old having difficulty to breath. Diagnosed with high blood sugar. How long insulin is to be taken?

I have a sister who is 12 years old last month she was admitted to hospital as she was finding it difficult to breathe , She was diagnosed with high blood sugar and was monitored for a week and kept on Insulin
She has daily three doses of Insulin which are as follows;
Morning 12 Units
Noon 3 Units
Night 7 units
I am also attaching her reports which were done in the hospital and which are now normal .
also she had a MRI of the Chest where some abnormaility was seen .
My question is will she continue to have insulin throughout her life? or is there any other way?
and regarding the chest abnormaility the doc says its fine ....but I am worried.
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 44 minutes later

I have seen your reports. Your sister was suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis. There are two types of diabetes. Type 1 occurring in younger patient and type 2 in adult.

Your sister may have type 1 diabetes, but you have to follow up blood sugar check up for at least 3 months to confirm the diagnosis. All other blood changes are part and parcel of same disease process.

Regarding Chest CT, it is just a infective process, which will resolved with antibiotics in due course, so need not to worry.

Hope I have answered your query, follow up questions are welcome.
Follow-up: 12 years old having difficulty to breath. Diagnosed with high blood sugar. How long insulin is to be taken? 11 hours later
So is that anything that we can do because she is taking insulin three times daily Is there any other alternative for that since she is a kid...
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 9 hours later
Welcome back XXXXXXX

Unfortunately, the condition which we are discussing is seen from childhood only. As I told earlier, you have to check for blood sugar for 3 month. If it is diagnosed as type 1 diabetes, then she have to take insulin or any other tablets lifelong.
Unfortunately I am still not able to open the attached reports. Would you mind sending it to YYYY@YYYY with Sub: Dr Ganesh Sanap
Any other query is welcome along with the attachments.
Thanking you.