12 year old feeling cold all the time. Reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Why would a 12 year active boy be cold all the time?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later
Hello ,
I assume you haven't measured the body temperature for the boy since you haven't mentioned it.
In order to guide you better, I would like to know a few more details like,
1.Whether he had cold extremities only or generalised low body temperature.
2 . Whether you have any documented low symptoms like , cold intolerance, excessive sleep, easy fatiguability, increased apetite , decreased or less sweating, dry itchy skin , constipation etc
4 Whether he is on any long term medications or supplements.
If by any chance it's not feasible for you to provide me the details, I would suggest you to measure the morning wake up time , body temperature (armpit measurement) and if its normal or more than 97.8 F then you need not worry at all as it may be a variation of normal which can occur in any one since body temperature depends on metabolism of body which differs widely from person to person.Also the skin type, the peripheral blood circulation and fat distribution will affect the surface heat exchange and cause someone to be felt as cold even though body temperature is normal.
If the measurement is documented low for three consecutive days then I would consider it
abnormal low and rule out thyroid disorders by blood tests for T4 T3 TSH or alternatively you
should then consult your physician or pediatrician first for thorough evaluation and subsequent
investigations as per advice.

Hope I have answered your query