12 year old child, diagnosed with haemangioma of vastus medialis muscle. Surgery the only option ?

General Surgeon
My son, who is 12, has recently been diagnosed as having what doctors are quite sure is a haemangioma of his vastus medialis muscle and we have been advised to have an operation to remove it.
Is this the only/preferred option treat this?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 18 hours later

A hemangioma is an abnormal proliferation of blood vessels that may occur in any vascularized tissue of body.

"Hemangiomas" of musculoskeletal system are more accurately called as "vascular malformations." These are present from birth and do not involute spontaneously.

Hemangiomas occur most commonly in skin or subcutaneous tissue.

Skeletal muscle is the most common site for hemangioma of the XXXXXXX soft tissue.

Intramuscular hemangiomas may cause sign & symptoms such as pain and swelling for which patients seek treatment.

Surgical intervention is one mode of treating muscular haemangiomas .

Embolization is the another mode of treatment.

Embolization is the procedure in which abnormal vessels are closed off with various substances (e.g., alcohol, glue, coil).

Embolization is a way of occluding blood vessels that are doing more harm than good.

Various materials may be used, depending on whether vessel occlusion is to be temporary or permanent, or whether large or small vessels are being treated.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries,

Wishing your son Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.