12 months old not getting erections. Should I be concerned?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
My son is 12 months old and does not get erections, should we be concerned?
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 28 minutes later

I am of the opinion that you should not worry about it at this stage.

Erection in infants and newborns usually happens when there is physical stimulation like changing the diapers or with full bladder.

May be you cannot see it when there is a diaper - so make sure.

In addition, I am sure that your pediatrician has seen him and made sure that there is no undescended testis or other external genital anomalies and your child is otherwise developmentally normal.

In this case, you can wait and watch.

Do write back if you have more concerns.

All the best
Follow-up: 12 months old not getting erections. Should I be concerned? 6 hours later
My wife its Home with him all the time, she's pretty sure he's not getting them. If he isn't, is that normal our should we see a urologist. I thought maybe all babies don't get them but i don't really know.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 38 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, it is true that not all babies get them obviously at this age. Some develop it later when they are little older only. Here also the spectrum varies from few to very frequent, in different infants normally.

If you are concerned, you should see a pediatric endocrinologist rather than an urologist because this is controlled by the action of the hormones!

Hope this explains the situation.

Follow-up: 12 months old not getting erections. Should I be concerned? 28 minutes later
Thank you, for your help i really appreciate it.
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 4 hours later

I am sure your child will be perfectly normal.

Rest assured!Relax!

You may ask me a query at this link in future, if you wish.

All the best.God bless!

Dr Uma