12 month old got hit on forehead and bump appeared. Should I be worried?

My 12 mos old son fell off a step this afternoon around 4:30 pm and hit his forehead on tile - in about 3-4 min he had a quarter size protruding bump on his forhead with a blue center. We iced it a little, and he has seemed to be fine - no vomiting; he's eaten fine, and he didn't sleep until 7:30pm when we put him to bed. He is my first baby and I'm nervous that I might misjudge - but all the people we were with tonight said as long as he is not vomiting and it is a protruding bump he'll be fine. It just looks so bad to me and turns my stomach to think of the "what if's" .... Should I wake him throughout the night to check on him? Should I be worried?
Posted Thu, 15 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 minutes later

Yes, it’s right that if there is no vomiting or altered sensorium after a head injury it's less likely for it to be a serious one.

Whenever there is vomiting, headache or altered sensorium (drowsy and confused) after a head injury it indicates that there could be an intracranial bleed which is XXXXXXX

Need not worry since your child has none of the above symptoms, and has a bump which indicates that bleeding is above the skull into the scalp layers. This swelling will subside soon without causing any complications.

It’s better to observe him to look for the above symptoms for about 24 hours after the injury to be sure he is safe. It would be sufficient to wake him up for every 6 hours and check on him.

Hope I answered your query. Please do ask doubts, if any.