12 days old umbilical cord fallen while taking bath but little part still hanging with stomach. Normal?

Question
My gal kid is 12 days old. Today after taking bath, her umbrical cord had fallen. But few part of umbrical cord about 1cm is still hanging with the stomach. I am also attaching the image. Is this normal???
Posted Mon, 9 Sep 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I don't see any image here.

Detailed Answer:

I think you forgot to attach images here; you can upload the picture using site's uploader available on this page.

Umbilical cord falls off at the site of tie. And the remanant of cord regress and gets embedded into the newly formed umbilicus. You need not be worried. Keep the area clean and dry.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: 12 days old umbilical cord fallen while taking bath but little part still hanging with stomach. Normal? 3 minutes later
Sorry sir. Photo attached now.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Observe for a few days.

Detailed Answer:
The picture reveals small stump of umbilical cord left behind. You would have also noticed that the cord has broken close to where the tie had been there; this is what usually happens in all new born children.

The remnant stump embedded into the abdominal wall over a period of time and forms the new umbilicus of the baby. This change is usually noted over a period of few weeks. If you can keep this area clean and dry, there is not untoward incidents expected.