11 year old with intermittent diarrhea and shaky spells after eating. History of ruptured tympanic membrane. Advice?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my daughter is 11 years old. for the past 4-6 weeks she has been feeling sick to her stomach after eating. had intermittent diarrhea, intermittent shaky spells both before and after eating. she has moderate abdominal pain at times. she has not vomitted. It is getting worse and she always feels sick now after eating. She just feels bad all over. She is not a dramatic child and I think something must be going on with her when she told me she need to go to the doctor!
age is 11, female, weight is 114. medical history is negative, except for recent ruptured typanic membrane and head cold.
Saw her doctor yesterday, glucose was 74, cbc was normal, ua was normal. He told her to keep a food diary and she is doing that.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 59 minutes later

Abdominal pain, intermittent diarrhea and nausea after eating could possibly be due to Gastroenteritis, stomach flu, peptic ulcer disease, GERD, acute gastritis, etc. Foods that are hard to digest (such as too many sweets) and under cooked meat or fish can also cause such symptoms.

Other causes that need to be ruled out include allergy to any food items like gluten sensitivity, etc.

You can take some general measures like-

1. You can start by giving her soft, bland food: toast, bananas, crackers, plain rice, cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, baked chicken ~ no skin, etc.

2.Keep her well hydrated: Give her broth, soup, fruit juices, soft fruits, or vegetables. Give her clear soups, clear sodas or juice mixed with water. You should avoid giving plain water and dark sodas.

3.Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks - stick to warm tea or water as long as symptoms persist, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

For the symptomatic relief you can give her antacids like Tums and anti emetics, after consulting with her physician. Taking a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole might also be helpful.

I hope this answers your query effectively.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.