11 year old male, having curly genital and axillary hair, developing mustache. Normal for his age ?

My son is 11 years old.He has already curly genital and axillary hair.He is developing a faint mustache. Is that normal for his age?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 2 hours later

I do understand that your son has started developing features of puberty and your concern is that whether it is normal for his age.

Puberty is transition from childhood to manhood. The changes in puberty include increase in height, appearance of axillary, facial and pubic hair, voice changes, increase in muscle mass and many more. It usually starts at the age of 12 years in boys. Growth of the testes is usually the first sign of puberty in the male.

Your son has some signs of puberty at the age of 11 years that could be a early puberty. He would require a clinical evaluation to assess his testis volume, growth potential and other pubertal status along with a bone age estimation.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.