11 year old complaining of popping in knee. Should I simply treat with the RICE protocol?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My 11 year old daughter is complaining of popping in her right knee. It is associated with moderate discomfort and brought about with actvity. She is quite active in sports (she plays football and basketball). Should I simply treat her with the RICE protocol or should I seek medical attention for her?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
A popping in the knee with mild discomfort on weight bearing can be due to a ligament tear or an injury to the menisci of the knee joint.
For diagnosis it is important to get an x-ray and a MRI scan of the area done. X-rays are very sensitive for picking up any fracture and MRI is one of the best tests for ruling out and identifying soft tissue injuries in the area.
I recommend you to consult an Orthopedician for proper examination and required investigations.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to the knee- use a knee brace. Avoid weight bearing.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to the knee will be useful pain relieving measure. She may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.