11 year child has a fluid filled sack on left labia. Could it be a cyst or bug bite?

My 11 year old daughter has a fluid filled sack on her left labia, could it be a cyst or bug bite? Clinic is closed today, can we wait until tomorrow or go to ER? Painful, red, swollen, fluid filled size of golf ball.
Posted Tue, 24 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The swelling that your daughter has could be either a Bartholin's cyst or a bug bite or an abscess. If the swelling is near her vagina, its more likely to be a cyst. But this is definitely unusual in her age group. Given that it is painful and swollen, giving her 3 tsp of Children's Motrin would be helpful. This can be given every 6 hours, depending on the pain she has. Apart from that, warm compresses (heat a towel on the stove or in front of the heater and apply. Please test it on your hand before you put this on her own. Sometimes, it gets unusually hot)
It would be better if you take her to the ER. We dont want to miss an abscess and deal with other complications later on.
Hope this helps
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.