11 year child diagnosed with autistic. Looking for good neurologist

Hi there,
I live in Bangalore and I am looking for a Neurologist for my 11 year old son Rachit who is Autistic, can you please suggest some good names? I live in Kammanahalli.
Posted Fri, 17 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would sincerely suggest, a child psychiatrist will be the best professional for evaluating and managing Autism.

In this regard Prof Soba srinath / Prof Sekhar Seshadri / Prof XXXXXXX Girimajhi of NIMHANS, Bangalore would be the best person for this purpose. You can take online appointment at website "nimhans XXXXXXX"

Hope this will help improving your child

Wish you good luck, Gourisankar
Follow-up: 11 year child diagnosed with autistic. Looking for good neurologist 18 hours later
Thanks for your kind response Doctor. I am unable to find the option to take online appointment, please let me know if there is a separate link for that. Also incase you are aware if any of these Profs have private clinics as it is very difficult to wait in NIMHANS for long hours with Rachit who is super hyper active.

Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 6 hours later
O.K, Alternatively you can consult Dr XXXXXXX psychiatrist at St Johns medical college, Bangalore.

Still I would say to consult at NIMHANS. Because, though, initially, you may have to struggle for getting appointment, getting a final opinion etc, you may have to take leave etc, but the opinion you will get would be reliable, authentic, a definite plan of management, what exactly is the diagnosis.

Usually, management of Autism is multidisciplinary (not only medication, but behavior therapy, special school etc). Hence you will be guided properly without being misguided to a wrong special school etc, if diagnosis of Autism is correct.

Yes, I would agree with you, currently, no online appointment. For OPD Consultation kindly follow the instructions below (taken from NIMHANS website):

Any working day to the OPD- SCREENING block between 8 – 11 A.M. and get a screening slip (for Rs 20/-). Registration generally closes by 11 A.M. If you have a referral letter from your local doctor, obtain a screening slip from the referral counter. Please mention at the counter that you wish to XXXXXXX a child psychiatrist following which you'll be directly referred to the XXXXXXX Resident, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry in the SCREENING block itself (Psychiatry Room No. 12). Depending upon the individual case requirements, the XXXXXXX Resident shall guide you further.

If you want to get quality service, (that to for your child) you have to sacrifice some time, my opinion. But you are wise to take your own decision.

Good luck